Wiki Repair of internal operative wound anorectal canal

Kevinph84

Best answers
Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding a case where a patient with a recent hemorrhoidectomy was taken back to the OR for repair of a disruption of the sutures. During the post operative course, the patient returned to the surgeon's office due to heavy bleeding from the rectum. In the OR, the surgeon examined the patient under general anesthesia. That is when the disruption of the operative wound was discovered and they sutured the disruption. The surgeon believes this may have ruptured from a bowel movement. I could not find the proper CPT code to describe this procedure. Does anyone have an idea, or am I forced to use an unlisted code? Thank you all for your help.

Best Regards

what about code 13160 secondary closure or 12020 or 12021 - If the physician performed anal exam by scope then controlled bleeding code 46614 - otherwise you would need to use an unlisted code - Good luck

Thank you for your comment. The physician did perform an anoscopy to diagnosis the condition. I feel the 10000 codes aren't applicable as this was in the anorectal canal versus skin. I think I am going to use 46614. Thanks again.