• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Repeat Left Heart Cath

Best answers
We have a patient that our doctor did a lhc on Tuesday Oct 12th which has already been billed. DX was normal cause of chest pain unknown. Because patient is continuing to have chest pain of a severe level the same doctor did another lhc this morning to evulate the cause of pain. My question is can we rebill that procedure? I was thinking of using the modifier of "return to the operating table" however because this is a diagonstic procedure I'm not sure that it would apply. Does anyone had this situation in the past? Any suggestions on how to bill it?
Thanks

Jess1125

Expert
Best answers
I wouldn't put any modifiers on the cath for "return to OR" as caths have a 0 day global.

I would just bill the cath codes as is.

Jessica CPC, CCC

Best answers
Yes it is billable as long as there is medical necessity which if there is ie recurrent chest pain. I would just go ahead and bill the second heart catheter without a modifier. The 76 and 77 mods are for repeat procedure on the same day. It should get paid ok and if it doesnt appeal and send the reports.