Wiki Replacement code for 35761

Best answers
My orthopedic surgeon has given me an invalid code of 35761, he's needing a code for an exploration not requiring repair of neurovascular structures after trauma. He said that another option would be to call it neurolysis digital nerve, where he basically explored and there was not an injury requiring repair. The patient has a LT small finger crush injury and according to the OP note he did a LT small finger exploration and radial digital neurolysis, not requiring repair.

Totally not my area. Now, with that caveat...

64702 - Neuroplasty; digital, 1 or both, same digit

The heading for that section states Neuroplasty (Exploration, Neurolysis, or Nerve Decompression). The only code in that section that specifically states neurolysis, is 64727, which is an add on code: Internal neurolysis, [when the outer sheath of the affected nerve is opened with a microscope] requiring use of an operating microscope (use in addition to neuroplasty code). Neuroplasty includes external neurolysis.

Then I looked up the definitions of both neuroplasty and neurolysis. Neuroplasty is "a general term that refers to any nerve surgery". Neurolysis is "destruction or exhaustion of nerve tissue, or the freeing of a nerve from adhesions, or the exploration thereof."

So, again, not being my area, I'm liking the 64702, and possibly adding on the 64727, if he opened the outer sheath.