Wiki Replacement of Contact Lens

Best answers
When is it appropriate to use code 92326-Replacement of contact lens? I have seen my providers use the code for several different reasons such as below. However I am still not sure when to use the code. Any assistance and reference will be greatly appreciated.

Used because patient presented for annual exam at visit patient received a new contact lens prescription d/t increase blurry vision

Used because patient returning for a follow up visit after receiving two different trials brand of CL lens and now at visit patient is receiving prescription for contact lens of choice

Used because patient was sprayed in both eyes with pepper spray during training

Hi Tonja,

That's a good question. My providers don't use this code, but I did a little research and this is the best I could come up with:

http://www.aao.org/publications/eye...CPT-Codes-92071-92072-0289T-and-0290T-PDF.pdf

This appears to be a supplies code, not a service code. I would probably only use it for bandage contact lenses, and use the V or S codes for refractive and keratoconus contacts. That's just my opinion though. I'd love for some other coders to jump in here.

For your first example, "patient presented for annual exam at visit patient received a new contact lens prescription d/t increase blurry vision," I would use 92310.

For your second example, "patient returning for a follow up visit after receiving two different trials brand of CL lens and now at visit patient is receiving prescription for contact lens of choice," I would use 99024 for the visit itself, assuming I had charged 92310 at the first contact lens visit. If product is being dispensed, I would use V codes or S codes depending on the payer.

For your third example, I'm not sure how contacts are being used, so I can't give an opinion other than the obvious E/M or eye code.

Hope this helps.