Wiki Reporting 99024

eurodurk

Best answers
Hello!

Currently, the practice I work in uses the 99024 as an internal means of ensuring that a patient is being seen during a post-op period, as we are not in one of the nine states that are required to report this code to Medicare. However, one of our physicians is currently questioning this.

We have explained that we are not required to report this code, but he continues to question how we handle this code. For, when he was at a conference recently a speaker emphasized the importance of reporting this code. Looking into it, this speaker was actually from New Jersey, one of the states required to report this code, which leads me to believe that this is why he stressed reporting this code.

Does anyone have experience in reporting this code from a state where it is not required? Currently it seems, to me, that attempting to report this code would only create an extra step that is not necessary, but I would like to have as much information as possible before responding to his questions.

Thank you, in advance, for any information or advice!
-Jennifer D.
CPC-A

Here's a great article from AAPC's Healthcare Business Monthly that discusses why it is important to report these codes even if your practice is not located within one of the 9 states that is required to report it:
https://www.aapc.com/blog/40468-dont-ignore-99024-reporting-is-now-a-requirement/

Thank you so much for your response! The article you provided was very helpful. One section, near the end of the article, does have me concerned that it is being written for providers in the nine target states, though. It states,
if surgeons in the nine targeted states don’t thoroughly report all of their post-op visits using 99024, surgeons in all states may lose money to other medical specialties.
Do you happen to know of any other articles which discuss reporting this code?
Again, thank you so much for your help!

-Jennifer D.