Wiki Reporting a referring/ordering physician

kvo

Networker
Best answers
I could use some assistance in confirming the information I have located for how to report a referring/ordering physician.

We have an interventional radiologist who performs revascularization procedures for the lower extremities in cases of PAD and in some instances the patient has come in without a referral. A portion of the procedure performed may be the 75710, 75716, and or 75625. These codes are not considered DHS (designated health services) by CMS yet they require a referring/ordering physician be listed on the claim in order for the imaging services (75710,75716, 75625) to process for payment. In this situation would it be appropriate to list the performing physician as the referring/ordering physician for these services? Documentation that I have found on this subject states that it would be acceptable but I am not locating current reference material addressing this.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

yes this is what I do. If a patient comes in without a referral I just provider the doctors information there on the referring provider field along with the Tax ID # and I usually use IG ANSI-Provider UPIN number for the type of information I provided. If you use NPI or insurance # such as BCBS then you would select the correct provider type. Hope this helps.