Wiki Required ICD 10 proficency test to keep CPC

First of all-CONGRATULATIONS and welcome to the world of coding! All CPCs who credentialed prior to the implementation date (10/1/2014) will be required to take the proficiency assessment. If you took a coding course, your instructor should have shared that with the class.

Congratulations on attending your first chapter meeting! You will find not only coding information at the meetings, but also a network of fellow coders and many coders connect with future employers as well.
As far as the differences in ICD-9-CM to ICD-10-CM-the newer coders are at an advantage because you do not need to reprogram your thought process when coding.

While you are "new" to our coding profession, you need to realize that many of us have been certified coders for a number of years. The certification we all hold indicates that we are proficient in CPT-4 and ICD-9-CM. The proficiency assessment will show that coders are also proficient in ICD10. There are costs associated with an on-line assessment; I can assure you the intent of AAPC is NOT to line their pockets. It is to offer the most affordable method of showing our proficiency with the new code set. AHIMA, the other nationally recognized coding organization, will require additional CEUs for their members to show their proficiency.

If you attend a Code Set Training, you will see that we do emphasize exactly the points you are making-break the education into small, digestible pieces, don't overwhelm with sheer volume.

AAPC membership is not limited to certified members and that is why there is a discrepancy in total number of members vs. certified members.

As you can see, I am very passionate about my coding career and AAPC. I have been a member for 15 years and have seen this company grow into the number 1 coding organization that it is. I know there is a cost to operating any business and I also know that AAPC wants to keep things affordable to the members.

I hope you will find your association with AAPC and your local chapter as rewarding and fulfilling as I have. If you are at either of the regional conferences or national conference next April, I would love to meet you!

Hey I would rather take a test that gives complete proof that I know ICD 10, CEU's DON'T show that you know the material just that you did complete the courses.

As for the money, the AAPC does a lot for us whom are members that NO ONE see's because its behind the scenes, I have had the privilege to benefit from this over the last year.

I for one again state I am in great support of this idea to test us and as for losing our credentials if we fail. We have proven ourselves with the current Coding Sets, we SHOULD have to prove ourselves with the new coding set. After all we are only as good as what we know for the current correct coding of claims.

I have no issue with having to take the ICD-10 proficiency test. However, since we take the time to obtain the CEU's necessary to maintain our credentials, pay the yearly membership fee and also work at our jobs which can involve working more than 40 hours per week, it would be nice to be able to take the test the first time at no charge. Then if we don't pass, assess a charge for taking it again.

The implementation of ICD-10 has become a cash cow for a lot of organizations. The costs for us to attend training boot-camps, webinars, seminars, purchasing training books, etc., are hundreds of dollars. Are these high costs really necessary? Basic ICD-10 training is necessary, but the costs of all these "training sessions and learning tools" are extremely excessive.

There has been too much hype put out for us to pay high dollars to obtain training regarding this transition. I recently attended a free 1 1/2 hour MLN webinar on ICD-10 Basics. It was very informative. That webiner, along with studying the ICD-10 guidelines, should help to pass the test.

If you're good with ICD-9 now, and do your homework on ICD-10, then you will be good in the future.

As someone who has spent the last four years gearing up for ICD-10, I have to say that I do understand everyone's frustration regarding the money spent as we implement this transition. However, I hope that you all think of your certifications as proof of your professional expertise, and consider the administrative costs as well as the operational costs of such an immense project as being not only necessary but reasonable. I do understand that it's a financial burden for unemployed coders, or those who work for practices who choose not to assist their coders with education. However, I'm also surprised to learn how many of these coders do not take advantage of their local chapters, where they can learn and network at the same time. Our chapter asks for a $10.00 fee to cover the luncheon and room, but the last three out-of-town chapter meetings I attended (no lunch) were absolutely free. And there were fewer than 20 people attending each of those three meetings. It's hard for me to understand why more coders don't take advantage of this resource and then complain about training costs.

Let's think about other industries--your car mechanic has to attend training (not free) to keep up to date on the new technology that rolls off the assembly line each year new models are introduced. We certainly want our cars to be safe and reliable, so wouldn't we expect our mechanics to know what they're doing?

Also in healthcare, clinicians have to stay up to date on new technology, new care models and changes in healthcare delivery. This ongoing training (again, not free) is essential to continue to provide quality care.
It escapes me why we cannot seem to see the value of our CPC certifications in the very same way we respect the knowledge and experience in other fields. I am not so entitled that I think the AAPC should provide me with everything necessary to maintain my very own job. It is my responsibility to insure that I take care of myself and my career. I need to do this, plain and simple.

With that, I certainly cannot and will not complain about the relatively small amount of cash I have to spend to retain my expertise in my chosen field. It would be a lot more costly for me to lose my job or to become unemployable.

Unfair?

How are you going to prove you know your I-10 without being certified? I was told that the test would be 2.5 hours and 75 questions. I, however, don't know that to be true. There's still a lot of time to change things.

The ICD-10 Proficiency Assessment is the only step of our training plan required for all certified AAPC members (excluding CPPM®, CPCO™, and CIRCC®). You should prepare yourself as you would for other exams or assessments. To ensure employers continue to have confidence in a certified coder's ability to accurately code the current code sets, AAPC certified members will have two years to pass an open-book, online, unproctored assessment.
It will measure your understanding of ICD-10-CM format and structure, groupings and categories of codes, ICD-10-CM official guidelines, and coding concepts.
  • Required for all AAPC credential holders (excluding CPPM®, CPCO™, and CIRCC®), recommended for all others working with the new code set
  • Two (2) years to take and pass the assessment, beginning October 1, 2013 (one year before implementation of ICD-10) and ending September 30, 2015 (one year after implementation)
  • 75 questions, 3.5 hours, open-book, online, unproctored, use any resource available
  • Coders will have two (2) attempts at passing (reaching an 80% score) over a two year window (Oct 1, 2013 – Sept. 30, 2015) for the $60 administration fee
  • ICD-10-CM only (ICD-10-PCS will not be covered in the assessment)
  • No CEUs given

Icd-10

I am a newly credentialed CPC-H, however I do not “code” with ICD-9. I am not required to be CPC-H certified for my job, I strictly to work with the charge master & all the clinical departments to ensure they are using the appropriate CPT codes for the procedures that are performed and that they understand the use of the CPT codes. I believe in being certified for what I do & keeping up my CEU's, it helps me understand the use of each CPT codes & rules myself & helps me guide the clinical departments better. So to hear that I will lose my credentials if I do not pass the ICD-10 proficiency test with the two attempts actually sucks with the time and effort I put in to be CPC-H certified. I understand that this is unproctored & can use any tool available, but I will admit I am that person that would like to just take the CEU classes for the ICD-10 since I don't actually code.

The CPC-H credential is for hospital services, not facility side. Therefore, being ICD10 proficient is required. You can do it!!! :)

klursky - no where does AAPC say you will lose your credential if you do not pass in 2 tries. You'd just have to pay another $60 for 2 more tries. I have not seen a limit as to how many times you can pay the fee to test.

I saw someone post that on here back in 2010 but I think that person was just misinterpreting. I would think if there was a limit AAPC would have it written on the I-10 testing info page.

Will we get a document or something

After we pass our ICD-10 Proficiency Assessment will we receive some type of document from AAPC that states we passed it - so that we have something to prove to our employer that we passed it.

I am looking forward to growing further :)

Taking the test as a group

On this thread back on 7/13/2011 someone was speaking about their chapter possibly taking the test as a group

How will that work - And is that okay? How would you know which coders really knew the correct answers, or whether they just chose the answer that most of the group thought was correct?

On this thread back on 7/13/2011 someone was speaking about their chapter possibly taking the test as a group

How will that work - And is that okay? How would you know which coders really knew the correct answers, or whether they just chose the answer that most of the group thought was correct?

No, I don't think that is okay! What possible purpose is there in passing an exam if you do it by sitting in a room full of other people who are giving you the answers? It doesn't show that you are proficient at ICD-10.

I'm sure the intent is that each person taking the assessment be assessed on an individual basis. I know it says "use any resource available" but I doubt if they meant other people can give you the answers.

I agree with you

I agree with you - shouldn't be taken as a group. Each person needs to take assessment by themselves using their books, etc.
Just read that older message on here and it didn't seem right to me either.:rolleyes:

I agree with you both, it doesn't prove what you as an individual knows. Some people might have taken the boot camps or might have studied up on it more than others. Which makes it worthless then cause here you have your certificate saying 'Yes I know ICD 10' but when someone asks you and you have no one to turn back to ask what is the answer. Then this whole things becomes invalid and we are looked down upon as not knowing anything.

where did you hear it was 1 hour? The last I heard the time length has yet to be determined. Also from what I understand it will be diagnosis only and multiple choice. What could be easier! ICD-10 CM honestly is not that hard, You just do not have everything memorized. It forces you to read everything in order to understand which code to use. I kind of like it even!

The test is 3 1/2 hours and I agree with you Debra, it is the same search concept as ICD-9 just more specific choices. It is not as scary ans they have made it out to be.

will we get something to give our employers

Will get a certificate or something to give to our employers to prove that we have passed the ICD-10 assessment test?

Icd-10 proficiency test

Yes, that is true. Last year at the pre conference meeting in Jacksonville, Fla Deb Grinder said that we must pay a fee for the proficiency test (something like $60?) thru the AAPC. We are given two attempts for that fee. IF WE FAIL BOTH TIMES WE LOSE OUR AAPC CERTIFICATION COMPLETELY!!! The whole room was buzzing. I was so blown away by this. I understand it is very important that we learn this new system but to be penalized and lose our entire certification that we worked so hard for if we have trouble with it...I think the AAPC is being very unfair with this requirement.
I completely agree that the AAPC is being super unfair but am not surprised. AAPC seems very money hungry. I'll bet they're happy that we have to pay for this test that they're making us take and even happier that if we fail it twice we'll have to pay for the very expensive exam attempts all over again and maybe more than once.

I completely agree that the AAPC is being super unfair but am not surprised. AAPC seems very money hungry. I'll bet they're happy that we have to pay for this test that they're making us take and even happier that if we fail it twice we'll have to pay for the very expensive exam attempts all over again and maybe more than once.

This thread is from 2013, and it was related to the conversion from ICD-9 to ICD-10. ICD-9 and ICD-10 were drastically different methodologies, and it was important to ensure that coders understood ICD-10 coding. Employers were requiring it at that time.

It's not something that is relevant now - anyone who has become a CPC since 2015 would already be trained exclusively in ICD-10.