Wiki Resident identification required?

kjferg47

Networker
Best answers
My staff is coding for services rendered in a teaching hospital. On most notes both the supervising physician (SP) and resident's names are documented/e-signed. However, on some notes where the SP's documentation states "Seen with resident" and includes the required note concurring with the resident there is no mention of the resident's name or signature. Can anyone tell me if the resident's name or signature is required? I have checked CMS's Guidelines for Teaching.... but could not find anything specific about a resident's signature. It just states "The documentation must be dated and contain a legible signature or identity..."

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I audit these cases daily for teaching physicians and if the resident is not documented and did not sign, I would deny it due to not supporting the services rendered.

Hope this helps.

I audit these cases daily for teaching physicians and if the resident is not documented and did not sign, I would deny it due to not supporting the services rendered.

Hope this helps.
Hi Missy - almost three years later I have a question - for Psych residents who are non MD's and their credentials are not listed would these encounters be billable? I'm not finding anything regarding non MD residents! Please help