Wiki Resident Physician supervision for services

Murkjp

Contributor
Best answers
I work for a behavioral health hospital where Resident physicians are conducting Psychotherapy group sessions. I'm wondering from a billing standpoint, because the resident must be supervised, can they submit a professional claim for these services based on the time of the group? Or can they only bill based on the time that a supervisor is present during the group. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you

Sorry, to clarify I'm referring to code set, 90832-80838 Psychotherapy Services. Example here would be 90832 Psychotherapy, 30 minutes with patient. Can you bill for this service if supervisor is not present for the whole time of therapy session.

:( my bad. I have 2 separate issues that I'm working through and accidently combined them here. My question is for the Individual Psychotherapy (90832-90838) billing with supervision. For a Resident to bill for this service, does the supervisor need to be present for the entire time spent with the patient? Or can the resident bill for their time spent with patient, even if the supervisor is not present for that entire time.

Here is the Medlearn article on residents and teaching physicians: https://www.cms.gov/outreach-and-ed.../teaching-physicians-fact-sheet-icn006437.pdf

The last time I was involved in billing by a resident, and it was a VERY LONG TIME AGO, the supervising psych was never in the session. All of the sessions were recorded by videotape, and the resident reviewed them with their supervisor to see where they needed to improve.