Wiki resolved follow up visits

JVILLAS

New
Best answers
Lets say we have a patient for a follow up of pharyngitis who is coming in and now it seems to have completely resolved. The patient also has some newly anxiety. Both have been addressed.

How do you list the dx codes in order?

Z09, J02.0, F41.9

OR

F41.9, Z09, J02.0

Any input would be appreciated.

Lets say we have a patient for a follow up of pharyngitis who is coming in and now it seems to have completely resolved. The patient also has some newly anxiety. Both have been addressed.

How do you list the dx codes in order?

Z09, J02.0, F41.9

OR

F41.9, Z09, J02.0

Any input would be appreciated.
I would code this encounter like this: If the chief complaint is patient is coming in for follow up for pharyngitis.
Z09, Z87.09 (personal history of, if the Pharyngitis is resolved.) then lastly F41.9 because that was not the main reason for the encounter, that is a new problem that was addressed at the follow up visit.

J02.0 can not be coded if the condition is resolved.

If the chief complaint and HPI are for Anxiety, then that would be your first listed code instead of follow up for pharyngitis.

If the reason for the encounter was to follow up on the pharyngitis, I would sequence it first. Side note: if the pharyngitis is resolved, I would use a personal history code as opposed to J02.0.

--
Ryan Stroup, CPC

I would code this encounter like this: If the chief complaint is patient is coming in for follow up for pharyngitis.
Z09, Z87.09 (personal history of, if the Pharyngitis is resolved.) then lastly F41.9 because that was not the main reason for the encounter, that is a new problem that was addressed at the follow up visit.

J02.0 can not be coded if the condition is resolved.

If the chief complaint and HPI are for Anxiety, then that would be your first listed code instead of follow up for pharyngitis.
Yes thank you! I meant to type in the hx code.

Thanks for the input I'm always overthinking and just want to make sure I'm coding it correct.