Wiki Retroperitoneal bleed

Kns1108

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,
I have a question regarding icd10 code for a post-procedural complication
Pt had a left heart cath. Post op day 2 was found to have a retroperitoneal bleed from the access site, which required stenting of the rt iliac.
Icd I97.610 vs I97.630 or something else and why? Trying to educate myself. Thank you!

I have no experience in this, but after reading these codes, I'd go with the hemorrhage code. If the area was found to have no active bleeding at the site of the hematoma, they would just evacuate the hematoma. But if they needed a stent to stop continued bleeding, I'd use the hemorrhage code.
I had to really read the I97.6 section to get my brain to register the differences in these codes but I think you nailed it!

I have no experience in this, but after reading these codes, I'd go with the hemorrhage code. If the area was found to have no active bleeding at the site of the hematoma, they would just evacuate the hematoma. But if they needed a stent to stop continued bleeding, I'd use the hemorrhage code.
I had to really read the I97.6 section to get my brain to register the differences in these codes but I think you nailed it!
That's the one I was thinking. Thank you!