Wiki Retroperitoneal transpsoas exploration of fusion

steph2355

Networker
Best answers
I need some help with this proc:

Retroperitoneal transpsoas exploration of fusion L3-L4 and L4-L5 with removal of interbody devices L3-L4 and L4-L5 and irrigation adn debridement.

Thanks

I need some help with this proc:

Retroperitoneal transpsoas exploration of fusion L3-L4 and L4-L5 with removal of interbody devices L3-L4 and L4-L5 and irrigation adn debridement.

Thanks

So this is a re-exploration of a previous fusion? If so, look at 22830. The removal of interbody devices are going to be bundled into the re-exploration.

Question:

What is the code for removing an interbody device from the spine? I asked this question on an internet coding discussion board and someone said to use 22850 (Removal of posterior nonsegmental instrumentation (eg, Harrington rod).

Answer:

It is not accurate to report a removal of posterior instrumentation code such as 22850 for removing an intervertebral device. There is no stand-alone CPT code for removing an intervertebral device as there is for removing posterior and anterior instrumentation. There is not even an add-one code for this activity. What code can you use? Removing an intervertebral device (e.g., cage, allograft) is included in the exploration of fusion code (22830) when that procedure is also performed.

http://www.karenzupko.com/resources/codingcoach/cc_neuroarchive_2010.html