Wiki Review of labs and decision for further treatment

RABBIT2020

Networker
Best answers
Is it appropriate to set up an office visit to discuss the results of the lab finding for a previous encounter at which you or your doctor colleague of the same group same speciality have ordered the test?

I have seen that doctors order lab work at one encounter bill an E/M visit. Set up a virtual or in office visit to discuss blood result finding document a not for billing and another E/M is billed.

I would like to know if this is correct billing practice.

It is appropriate as long as it is medically necessary. After reviewing lab results, providers will often need to see the patient again to ask additional questions or perform a more extensive examination or discuss treatment options with the patient based on what those test results show. It's entirely appropriate to bill for those visits. The only time I think it's not is when the lab results are completely normal yet some providers feel they need to bring the patient in to discuss the results with them - I'm not sure why providers do this, but in my opinion that's a situation that doesn't demonstrate the medical necessity of another E/M visit.