Wiki revison of a hemi hip arthroplasty

ahodge90

Networker
Best answers
I have a question because I have some papers from a recent decision health coding conference that I attended back in October. It states that it would be inappropriate to bill 27486 for a revision of a hemi knee arthroplasty so I would need to bill an unlisted for this procedure.

Now I know that my case is not a knee, because I am dealing with a hemi hip here, but would this mean that I have to use an unlisted on my case, because I have a hemi hip that my doc is revising due to a periprosthetic fx. he is only doing the femur component. I cannot find anything in the notes that say what to do if I have a hemi hip that I am dealing with.

So I guess my question is, am I supposed to report 27136 here or is this going to have to be unlisted because this was not a total hip that he was revising, it was a hemi?

Any advice on this would be very much appreciated.

Keep in mind that your doctor is treating the fracture, not replacing a loose or broken component
actually, after re reading the op, to see if I missed that he was just fixating the fracture here or not, he actually says he had to replace the hemi hardware due to an instable implant as a result of a fall. he replace the bipolar head, stem, and new proximal body on this case.

Last edited:
The head and stem I understand. I don't know what's meant for the "proximal body". If the femoral component is being replaced due to be loosened, then 27138. The head and stem are just the individual parts of the femoral component.