Wiki Risk Level

consultingbykristin

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Hi all,

when assigning risk level for a patient who is counseled on receiving an epidural injection in the future and all risks associated with it are reviewed...do you assign this as a High risk level?

I see discography under high as well as elective major surgery, but an epidural isn't really either of those. So would it be elective minor surgery with identified risk factors putting it at moderate risk?

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

when assigning risk level for a patient who is counseled on receiving an epidural injection in the future and all risks associated with it are reviewed...do you assign this as a High risk level?

I see discography under high as well as elective major surgery, but an epidural isn't really either of those. So would it be elective minor surgery with identified risk factors putting it at moderate risk?

Thanks in advance

It definitely would not be a high risk. An injection is minor procedure. I would consider it either low risk - minor procedure with no identifible risk factors, or Moderate risk if the doctor has identified risk factors. Risk factors would be something like a co-morbidity that would make the procedure more difficult, not the same typical risk factors that the physicians go over with every patient in regards to a surgical procedure.