Wiki RN looking to transition into coding

Best answers
I'm currently a RN but am really interested in transitioning into medical coding. The only coding experience I have is with ICD-10-CM Z codes (social determinants of health, nonbillable) that I use on patient care plans. I do have concerns with what appears to be the difficulty obtaining a medical coding job with no prior experience, especially during the apprentice period. Will having an active RN license and nursing experience help at all when applying for medical coding opportunities? I'm worried I will invest my time and money into CPC certification only for it to lead me nowhere seeing as how I don't have any prior experience with coding. Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated!!

Nurses and others with clinical backgrounds are 100% more desirable and hireable in my opinion. The clinical background and education puts you miles ahead. Many companies specifically only want/need coders and auditors with clinical credentials. The best coders (my opinion) are those that have a firm foundation in A&P and understand the clinical side. Roles like being a physician liaison and higher type management positions would also be more open to you. Nurse case claim reviewers and managers in work comp companies and/or high level clinical appeal positions require more than just a CPC, etc.

Here's some places where it has been discussed.

I'm currently a RN but am really interested in transitioning into medical coding. The only coding experience I have is with ICD-10-CM Z codes (social determinants of health, nonbillable) that I use on patient care plans. I do have concerns with what appears to be the difficulty obtaining a medical coding job with no prior experience, especially during the apprentice period. Will having an active RN license and nursing experience help at all when applying for medical coding opportunities? I'm worried I will invest my time and money into CPC certification only for it to lead me nowhere seeing as how I don't have any prior experience with coding. Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated!!
I can say from my previous experience as an Occupational Therapist (for the past 17 years) it has not helped me at all with finding a coding job. I would love to land a job coding for inpatient rehabilitation or even skilled nursing facilities, since I feel like that would be like a fusion of my OT experience and my current role as a coder. I'm still searching for my first coding job, hoping it happens sooner rather than later!