Wiki ROS/Meds as part of audit

Cheezum51

True Blue
Best answers
I just wanted some thoughts on how much of the ROS should be documented under the 2021 E/M guidelines in regards to performing a "medically appropriate history and exam." This question is in regards to eye care exams.

I feel that, for a comprehensive established patient exam, the provider should document a fairly complete ROS, or at least note no changes in ROS/meds from a recent exam, especially for patients who are taking several different medications. For brief/urgent care type visits, I think it's more appropriate to do a minimal ROS, perhaps just related to the presenting problem.

Tom Cheezum, OD, CPC, COPC

My understanding of those changes are to allow each clinician to perform (and document) whatever they believe to be medically appropriate. Whether the clinician reviews 1 system, or all 12 systems, it does not affect the code choice. I don't question my clinician's medical decisions (at least not out loud). :censored:

A formally documented ROS is not necessary. Providers may deem other documented parts of the history (eg. HPI, PFSH) as sufficient to qualify as a medically appropriate history.

A formally documented ROS is not necessary. Providers may deem other documented parts of the history (eg. HPI, PFSH) as sufficient to qualify as a medically appropriate history.
The practitioner also decides what - if any - history is medically appropriate under the new guidelines.