Wiki Routine Outpatient Prenatal Visits

kbrooks15

Contributor
Best answers
I am having trouble finding definite clarification on this question.

Z34.- codes should not be used with Chapter 15 codes at all, correct?
If they have a chapter 15 code listed, do I have to use the supervision of high risk pregnancy code?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Correct if you have an O code you would not bill Z34.-. you wouldn't necessarily code Supervision of High risk pregnancy either. You can have other O codes without meeting the criteria of O9.-

For routine prenatal outpatient visits for patients with high-risk pregnancies, a code from category O09, Supervision of high-risk pregnancy.

You can be a high risk pregnancy without any actual complications. If they are having complications its not routine prenatal outpatient visit.

Last edited:
Z34
Excludes1: any complication of pregnancy (O00-O9A)
encounter for pregnancy test (Z32.0-)
encounter for supervision of high risk pregnancy (O09.-)
So you can't code these together

Correct if you have an O code you would not bill Z34.-. you wouldn't necessarily code Supervision of High risk pregnancy either. You can have other O codes without meeting the criteria of O9.-

You can be a high risk pregnancy without any actual complications. If they are having complications its not routine prenatal outpatient visit.

So if they are coming for a prenatal visit and have vomiting qualifying for O21.0, does that just get coded with the weeks of gestation code (Z3A.-) for that visit?

Forgive me as I am still a new coder but determined to get OB/GYN coding correct.

For Z3A section has a note saying,
Code first complications of pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium (O00-O9A)
So you can code both.

Is a code from Z3A required or optional? Everything we read can be interpreted differently.:confused: