Wiki Routine Urine Drug Screans

ejlavergne

Best answers
I work for an orthopaedic surgeons office. My doctor performs routine urine drug scans on all new patients, pre ops, and whenever you receive a narcotic refill. I am having trouble with a billable ICD 10 code to justify reasoning for this. I was using Z02.83 which was chronic pain. Now we are having patients insurance label them as "chronic pain patients," which is untrue. I have researched and can not find a better code for this. Can someone please help me? :mad:

Z02.83 is not a code for chronic pain and would not convey a message of chronic pain to the payer. Chronic pain is G89.2-. For a general drug test I can see no better code than Z02.83. The payer may not pay for this but it will not label the patient as a chronic pain or drug user or anything else.
A natcotic refill would be the Z51.81 with the Z79.- and the dx for the reason for the narc listed last.

You did say you were doing urine test, apologies. In that case a screening code would be needed if it were a routine screening and not for a patient already receiving natcotic pain relief.

You did say you were doing urine test, apologies. In that case a screening code would be needed if it were a routine screening and not for a patient already receiving natcotic pain relief.

So, when giving refills we would use Z51.81 with the Z79.- and the dx for the reason for the narc listed last. And for new patient screenings or when we are not giving refills ,we would use which code?