Wiki Ruptured Breast Implant Replacement with Capsulectomy

nsteinhauser

Expert
Best answers
Surgeon removes ruptured breast implant materials, entire capsules are excised and new implants are placed. Patient has distant history of bilateral mastectomies with reconstruction.
One resource states 19371 and 19340. The 19371 includes removal of old implant. It doesn't include removal of ruptured implant material that takes more time and work. I can't modify the 19371 with a -22 (increased services) because I am coding for a facility and -22 is not allowed in ASC's. Using 19330 would include removal of ruptured implant material but doesn't include a capsulectomy. Also there is a question that the 19340 "..or in reconstruction" is only to be used for immediate reconstruction, not reconstruction years later.
19380 would fit for reconstruction of a breast that has already been reconstructed, albeit not for asymmetry. 19371 could be coded additionally to indicate capsulectomy. But again I'm wondering how to code for the fact it was removal of ruptured implant material and not just an intact implant.
Thank you in advance for any thoughts out there.

Our billing company would use 19330, 19371, and 19342 ( delayed recon). I always questioned using the 19330 and 19371 but the majority of the time, our insurance companies are paying for them. Of course - 59's are appended and operative reports are available.