Wiki RX Billing

knperry

Guru
Best answers
Hi,
Was wondering what area does RX billing fall under? Does it have a certification of its own? Also what about Veterinarian Billing? Are there any certifications in this area also?

Thanks

As far as I know, pharmacy billing doesn't usually involve coding - in my twenty-plus years working in coding, I've never encountered anyone from the coding profession who works in this area. Pharmacies bill insurance directly for prescriptions through a more automated system that doesn't involve the same claims formats and coding requirements that are used by physicians and hospitals and I've never heard of a coder being required for this process.

There is no 'veterinarian billing', to my knowledge. Insurance that covers veterinary care is relatively rare and just involves the animal owner submitting receipts for reimbursement. Veterinarians don't submit claims on behalf of patients the way physicians do. In addition, the coding profession is specific to reporting diseases and medical care for humans - I don't know that a coding system has even been developed (or even if there is any need for one) to report data for animals.