Wiki Rx Drug Management

drhoads

Guru
Best answers
When a new problem is documented and a Rx drug is ordered how many of you include this under moderate decision making on the table of risk as prescription drug management? Thank you!

If I am reading this correctly, I would see it as moderate complexity. The new problem to patient would score AT LEAST moderately for # of diagnosis/management options, and the prescribing a new Rx would meet criteria for moderate risk. Those together would met the needs for moderate complexity for the decision making portion of the E/M code.

I was thinking "drug management" meant either the physician had to either stop, increase, decrease or renew a prescription to qualify.

Prescribing a new medication absolutely counts as prescription drug management, along with the other things you mentioned (increasing/decreasing dosages, refilling or stopping a prescription.)

Think about it. The provider doesn't just write down a prescription without giving thought to the drugs the patient is currently on, or their underlying medical problems. They take all that into consideration when deciding what to prescribe, and what dosage. It's precisely that consideration that we're trying to give credit for.