Wiki Same day anesthesia MAC service

lr09050828@gmail.com

Contributor
Best answers
Hi everyone...I do charge entry anesthesia charges (MAC) for GI same day procedures. And I was instructed that anesthesia charges can not be submitted until the GI procedure was posted. In my case someone else post the procedure for our groups. Now someone who isn't a coder is telling me that you can submit the anesthesia charge before the procedure. The reason was that the diagnosis codes in the anesthesia charge has to match up to the procedure code. Is she right?... and is there somewhere that states one or the other that we can keep on file for other anesthesia charge entry...I couldn't find anything in Novitas under NJ...Thanks

Hi everyone...I do charge entry anesthesia charges (MAC) for GI same day procedures. And I was instructed that anesthesia charges can not be submitted until the GI procedure was posted. In my case someone else post the procedure for our groups. Now someone who isn't a coder is telling me that you can submit the anesthesia charge before the procedure. The reason was that the diagnosis codes in the anesthesia charge has to match up to the procedure code. Is she right?... and is there somewhere that states one or the other that we can keep on file for other anesthesia charge entry...I couldn't find anything in Novitas under NJ...Thanks
You may submit anesthesia charges once they're ready to go. If the documentation is correct and coded accurately, there should be no problem. Often time, anesthesia charges are submitted well before surgical claims.

Thanks Lisa the outpatient anesthesia svc...the documentation is the standard anesthesia record and the cpt code is circled. Times/P status/drug meds and so on. And some submit a billing sheet to the billing dept w/just the times/anes doc name and P status. There is no DX's that anesthesiologist is submitting. And the other problem is the other charge entry people are not certified. I think this is why I was told in the past that you have to apply the GI codes into the the anesthesia charge.

Thanks Lisa the outpatient anesthesia svc...the documentation is the standard anesthesia record and the cpt code is circled. Times/P status/drug meds and so on. And some submit a billing sheet to the billing dept w/just the times/anes doc name and P status. There is no DX's that anesthesiologist is submitting. And the other problem is the other charge entry people are not certified. I think this is why I was told in the past that you have to apply the GI codes into the the anesthesia charge.
There should be a diagnosis proving medical necessity for the anesthesia service on or with the anesthesia record. The anesthesia record should include the reason for the procedure (the main diagnosis) in addition to any co-morbidity diagnoses that justify the Physical Status score and the use of Monitored Anesthesia Care (MAC). Any service coded/billed should be supported by documentation. Most standard anesthesia records include fields to record this information, however, there is almost never a place to record the diagnosis. Often times, the diagnosis is written somewhere on the record though.