Wiki Same Dx During Global

coop22

Networker
Best answers
Any help appreciated.

I am coding for the surgeon. He performed a 90 day global procedure. 1 month in the repair has failed and the original DX is now again symptomatic. (Stated they left the OR with none of the DX and his immediate postoperative course was unremarkable) in the office setting the surgeon/physician has now done a level consult with the decision to do a re-operative surgery. Is there a way to give him credit for the consult? Since he is in the global and it will be the same DX code:confused:

If it's Medicare/Medicaid or a carrier that follows their global package guidelines as this is considered a complication.

Only the OR surgery/visit is billable the re-consult is inclusive as complications are part of what they pay for and are not billable separately.

If it is a commercial carrier, determine their global guidelines and if they follow the CPT or MCR.

http://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Edu...oducts/downloads/GloballSurgery-ICN907166.pdf

What's the dx? I ask because if it was a hernia it would be a recurrent. That is a different dx and a different surgery cpt also.

I agree that the e/m is not billable. Only what was done when they were taken back to surgery. Everything else falls in the global.