Wiki Saphenous Vein Harvest

coop22

Networker
Best answers
I am aware that procurement of saphenous vein is included in a CABG. But I have this in an op report

Saphenous vein was harvested in the left leg utilizing endoscopic vein harvesting technique. It was prepared for bypass grafting.

Can 33508 be added to the CABG codes, for this kind o f description?

yep, only the endoscopic can be reported 33508 and only once can not bill with units or bilateral as they are not allowed.

As long as we are on this subject, I have an unusual situation and am not sure how to deal with it. My PA who usually assists my surgeon in CABGs and does the endoscopic vein harvest of the saphenous vein, was called in by another surgeon to do only the vein harvest. He already had an assistant surgeon who billed for the assist on the main procedure(s). I don't know how to bill for just the endoscopic vein harvest, since it is an add on code, and Kerry did not assist on the CABG. She's actually done this 3 times in the past year. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Karen Hill, CPC, CPB, CPMA

Good question but I don' think that you can code your PA for those few she does...you're right, it is an add on code and will not be accepted without the parent code.

HTH
Dorinda, CPC