• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten the password it can be reset on our sign in section by entering your registered Email Address or Username here. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..

Screening colon - incidental - Diarrhea and billing for biopsy of microscopic colitis

Retrophaze

Contributor
Messages
14
Location
Largo, FL
I work for an ASC. I have a doctor that frequently does colon screenings and adds in incidental - diarrhea (probably things she's told a half hour before the procedure). During the screening she will do a biopsy on what she describes as a colon that appears normal. She does it to check for microscopic colitis. This points me back to the reason the patient was NOT there; the incidental diarrhea. So what she says she did:

45385 - PT (found a polyp)
45380 - PT 59

Thus far I have just scratched that second CPT and not billed it because that is not why the patient was here. I had another biller tell me "You can bill for that. I just put in a diagnosis of colitis" I am not comfortable with this as this patient was not actually diagnosed with colitis as of yet and the colon "appeared normal". Not to mention that the patient is doing a colon screening and there was no inflammation.

What are your thoughts?
 
This is the other argument we have. When the doc puts on an "incidental" does it then become diagnostic? I thought so, but then I see opinions all over the board on this. I suppose the doc has to include what the patient told them just before the screening. Unfortunately, what will happen in this scenario is that I would get a phone call from a very irate patient saying that they were supposed to get a free screening. I have Googled the heck out of this and can't find solid evidence of how something like this is handled (incidentals).
 
Top