Wiki Screening colonoscopy-Gastroenterology CPT Advisors

milema2

Contributor
Best answers
Hi All,

We are in need of your professional opinions, When Billing for a “High Risk” screening colonoscopy, How do you let the Insurance Company know this is a “screening”?

What do you think about modifier 33 for Commercial payers? Medicare we can use G0105 or the PT Modifier.

Or will they ever be a “screening colonoscopy”?

Below per 2016 CPT Cod1ng updates Gastroenterology CPT Advisors

X Billing for a screening colonoscopy in an average-risk patient: • G0121 (Medicare) or 45378 (Medicaid, commercial, exchange, Tricare) with the appropriate ICD-10 code for screening: n Z12.11 — encounter for screening for malignant neoplasm of colon. n Z12.12 — encounter for screening for malignant neoplasm of rectum. X Billing for screening colonoscopy in a high-risk patient: • G0105 (Medicare) or 45378 (Medicaid, commercial, exchange, Tricare) with the appropriate ICD-10 code for screening: n K50 — Crohn’s disease. n K51 — ulcerative colitis. n K52.1 — toxic gastroenteritis and colitis. n K52.89 — other specified noninfective gastroenteritis and colitis. n K52.9 — noninfective gastroenteritis and colitis, unspecified. n Z85.038 — personal history of other malignant lesion of large intestine. n Z85.048 — personal history of other malignant lesion of rectum, rectosigmoid junction and anus. n D12.6 — benign neoplasm of colon, unspecified. n Z15.09 — genetic susceptibility of other malignant neoplasm. n Z80.0 — family history of malignant neoplasm of digestive organs. n Z83.71 — family history of colonic polyps. n Z86.010 — personal history of benign neoplasm of colon.
Thank you in advance.

for my office I bill the G0105 CPT code for all payers except Medicaid plans and Tricare. my understanding is mod 33 is when the procedure becomes therapeutic and only when the primary DX code is Z12.11.