Wiki Screening colonoscopy through stoma

Best answers
Is it appropriate to use the G0105 for a Medicare screening colonoscopy through the stoma? The patient has a history of rectal cancer. I wasn't sure if there is a G-code for through the stoma, or if G0105 is to be used since a colonoscopy is from the rectum to the cecum. Thanks in advance.

Yes, it is appropriate to use G0105 for a screening colonoscopy through the stoma. Your patient would be considered high risk.

Treetoad - I would like to know where you have gotten your info? Medicare pays the G0105 at the same rate as 45378. Colo through stoma is not coded as 45378 it has it own set of codes. I dont see how you could code that as G0105. Maybe I am wrong but it just doesnt make sense to me. Thanks!

Susie, I've got to be honest with you. I have a 3M encoder, which leads me in this direction. I understand that a diagnostic colonoscopy through a stoma has its own code. I don't have any actual documentation that states using G0105 as the correct procedure code. If anyone out there has documentation to support this, I'd love to review it.

Susie, I've got to be honest with you. I have a 3M encoder, which leads me in this direction. I understand that a diagnostic colonoscopy through a stoma has its own code. I don't have any actual documentation that states using G0105 as the correct procedure code. If anyone out there has documentation to support this, I'd love to review it.
After I obtained informed consent, the scope was passed under direct vision. Throughout theprocedure, the patient's blood pressure, pulse, and oxygen saturations were monitored continuously.The colonoscope was introduced through the sigmoid colostomy and advanced to the cecum,identified by appendiceal orifice and ileocecal valve. The colonoscopy was performed without difficulty.The patient tolerated the procedure well. The quality of the bowel preparation was good. Theappendiceal orifice was photographed.

Would you code 44388 with KX modifier - for High risk colon cancer surveillance: Personal history of rectal cancer.

I thought the -KX modifier was used if the patient was presenting for a screening colonoscopy after a positive result from a stool based test. I didn't see the dx to show that here but maybe I'm missing it? I would just code the 44388.