Wiki Screening Z codes for lab work

ajkerr

New
Best answers
When a provider orders lab work for screening ex: screening for cardiovascular disease, diabetes etc and uses the screening codes can you attach those screening codes to the e/m even if the labs weren’t performed on the same day as the office visit. I recently had an audit and was “dinged” but I attached them when they weren’t done the same day however I’ve never been dinged for it before and I’m not having any luck finding supporting documentation for this. Not sure if this is a new rule or not. It’s not something that is a workflow/guideline for the company I work for.

I would not attach the screening codes to the E/M service unless the provider is performing some sort of screening as a part of that E/M service. For example, if the provider performs a preventive breast exam during the E/M, then you might code the Z12.31 for that encounter because the code correctly describes a component of the E/M. But if the provider is just ordering routine labs, and there is no screening actually being done at the encounter, then the screening codes aren't really appropriate for the E/M. In other words, it's the lab that's actually doing the screening, not the physician, so the lab charges will have the screening codes to show this as the reason why they are being performed.

Last edited: