Wiki Screenings/Modifiers

Best answers
33 is used when a screening becomes a diagnostic exam, meaning if a patient comes in for a screening, but the colonoscopy ends up being a biopsy or polypectomy, you add the 33 modifier to the claim to indicate the patient's colonoscopy was planned as screening but became something else.

33 is used when a screening becomes a diagnostic exam, meaning if a patient comes in for a screening, but the colonoscopy ends up being a biopsy or polypectomy, you add the 33 modifier to the claim to indicate the patient's colonoscopy was planned as screening but became something else.
See but this contradicts the AAPC article I attached saying 33 should be appended to 45378 for commercial insurances.

1687788393029.png
1687788449909.png

Hi there, report modifier 33 for a screening exam. Medicare and some private payers want modifier PT when a screening exam converts to a diagnostic service.

See but this contradicts the AAPC article I attached saying 33 should be appended to 45378 for commercial insurances.
Can you supply the URL for this AAPC article? I've only been appending (like other) a modifier when the screening turns therapeutic. I believe you are stating that if the 45378 is used for a commercial screening, Mod 33 should be added. Thank you.