• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

screenings physician & facility coding

kerileigh

Networker
Best answers
:confused:

Having some issues with patients coming to see the MD for screening colon, physician orders the colon as a screening and the patient has no other dx for the colon....physician performs the colon and it is normal other than he notices the patient to have a small hemorrhoid(which is not inflammed nor bleeding)... i coded it as a screening ( didnt think the hemorrhoid was relevant to the colon and some ins companys do not recognize as a medical necessity). The facility codes out a diagnositic (due to the small hemorrhoid)with out mention that the procedure was even orginiated as a screening.....even with the hemorrhoid should they have not used the V code and the 33 modifer???? I am confused as to even if the procedure turns out diagnositic should the facility also not be using the V codes and the modifer to reflect that the procedure orginates as a screening

rsboggs

Networker
Best answers
For these we code as a screening code, 45378, G0121, G0105 with the screening diagnosis first and hemorrhoid secondary. I do not add a PT/33 to these for hemorrhoids. IF it becomes a 45380, 45385 then I do the screening code first, polyp code second and attach a PT/33.

acbarnes

Guru
Best answers
I agree with rsboggs post re: coding. That is the way way we code, V code first, hemorr second. I have to argue and educate the facility coders all the time. It sounds like it is time to do more education on coding colonoscopies: diagnostic, screening, surveillance.

Anna Barnes, CPC, CEMC