Wiki Septoplasty by balloon dilation

krstn1335

New
Best answers
Has anyone had success billing an in-office septoplasty by balloon dilation ? My physician insists on billing CPT 30520 however I disagree and believe it should be an unlisted code.

The January 14, 2020 TCI SuperCoder Otolaryngology Coding Alert - Has and article regardin the proper coding of the Balloon Dilatation Septoplasty:
It states, "In order to report code 30520, an incision into the septal mucosa and subsequent resection of the bone and/or cartilage of the septum must occur. Since the septoplasty with balloon dilation involves a distinctly different approach, involving no incisions, your only option is using unlisted code 30999(unlisted procedure, nose).

Hope this helps.

From the article that Cheryl mentions:
The last piece in the coding puzzle is determining what existing code is most similar to the septoplasty with balloon dilation. Submitting an existing reference code alongside an unlisted code is important for contextual purposes. “It is recommended that you report a comparison code of 31295 [Nasal/sinus endoscopy, surgical, with dilation (eg, balloon dilation); maxillary sinus ostium, transnasal or via canine fossa] if the surgeon uses one balloon,” advises Barbara J. Cobuzzi, MBA, CPC, COC, CPC-P, CPC-I, CENTC, CPCO, of CRN Healthcare in Tinton Falls, New Jersey. “If the surgeon uses two balloons, you should also equate 30999 to 31295, except with modifier 50 appended,” says Cobuzzi.