Wiki SERIOUSLY, No one has an opinion on this??

Chanke

Best answers
:confused:
I posted this days ago and got no response. I was kind of hoping to have someone say something. I am trying to change the way things are being done and need some verification :

For labwork done to clear a patient to receive contrast medium for a CT scan woould it more apprpriate to use v72.63 pre procedural lab exam or v72.85 special exam?

I think v72.63 makes more sense but the supervisor thinks 'procedural' means surgery.......

BTW, previously everyone was using v72.85.

Any thoughts?? :confused:

Hi Caroline,

I know it can be frustrating sometimes. I am in agreement with you. I would select V72.63. This code should be reported for all preop labs including clearance for a CT. I did alittle research to make sure though, and I found the following info. from an article.

"To allow for identification of a test ordered to pre-screen patients for potential health risks associated with a test, ICD-9 creates V72.63 (Pre-procedural laboratory examination), Jill M. Young, CPC, CEDC, CIMC, consultant with Young Medical Consulting LLC in East Lansing, Mich., and American Academy of Professional Coders Chapters Association Vice Chair explains. For example, the dye in CT scans can cause problems with the kidneys. Through a screening blood test, individuals who may be at risk from the dye can be identified before the test is performed. "

I hope this helps. I found the article at Supercoder.com. Maybe you could show it to your boss.