Wiki Services vs Equipment

mentsa

Networker
Best answers
I was wondering if anyone else distributing hearing aids to their patients is having any issues with the write offs by insurance companies that are through a network the provider is participating in. Are the claims being processed the same as claims for routine services in done in the clinic?
Any input is appreciated.

I was wondering if anyone else distributing hearing aids to their patients is having any issues with the write offs by insurance companies that are through a network the provider is participating in. Are the claims being processed the same as claims for routine services in done in the clinic?
Any input is appreciated.
I am a little confused re: your question but I will explain what happens when your audiologists become par providers with a carrier, they have to accept contractual fees for the hearing aids. Most carriers reimbursement are actually lower than the hearing aids dispensed as the carriers are only reimbursing for "basic" hearing aids. The majority of hearing aids out there are more sophisticated technology now. You have to have a ABN for the more "advanced" hearing aids specifically stating the cost and what the patients carrier will cover and what they will be responsible for. As long as you have that legal document you can receive full payment for those hearing aids. We contacted each carrier for the benefit coverage for each hearing aid and then provided the patient a financial breakdown of cost, what their insurance covered and what their responsibility would be. The patient balance was due upon receipt of the hearing aids.

Hope this helps.

Jennifer
Coding Analyst

Hi Jennifer, we are having the same issue in our clinic because the Hearing Aids that we are dispensing are more than standard technology, do you know if we are allowed to use code S1001 to bill insurance for a more deluxe item?