Question Sessile serrated polyps

Best answers
Colon polyps:

Previously termed sessile serrated adenomas/polyps are now called sessile serrated lesions (SSLs)

Our 2024 ICD-10 book has no mention of that update (eff. 2019 by WHO classification) and with that being said, would you code the sessile serrated lesion as K63.89 (book takes you to K69.9 when you go to lesion; colon) or would you code the D12 code? D12.____ depending on site?

1709218255336.png

I code Endoscopy for a large healthcare organization. I just coded one, and the path report stated "multiple fragments of sessile, serrated adenoma/polyp" so I will be coding them with the D-code until further notice. Plus the information in your post does state "These are the most common PRECANCEROUS serrated polyps" and we know precancerous polyps code to the D-codes. Lesion of colon is too vague IMHO. ☺️

Thank you for responding. 🙏
Yes, I know lesion is too vague, and I even feel dumb for asking this question, but our path report doesn't state the word "adenoma/polyp", it has "sessile serrated lesion" which I know (by our pathologists and other credible sites) means adenoma/polyp, but not sure if auditing would have an issue with something like this.

I hope I make sense.