Wiki ? Shared chart coding

Chelsea1

Guru
Best answers
Need help with this one please!!!!

We have a patient seen at the hospital from a auto accident for pericardial effusion. Our doctor did a consult and everything was fine so their was no follow up. Days later the patient was discharged and readmitted within the same facility to rehab. While patient was their he had chest pain and we were re-consulted and then saw patient in follow up the next two days at the facility. My question is, I code the first consult out but the second one, do I bill as a consult or a subday? If anyone knows the answer and knows where I could find information regarding shared charts, please let me know.

Thank You

Need help with this one please!!!!

We have a patient seen at the hospital from a auto accident for pericardial effusion. Our doctor did a consult and everything was fine so their was no follow up. Days later the patient was discharged and readmitted within the same facility to rehab. While patient was their he had chest pain and we were re-consulted and then saw patient in follow up the next two days at the facility. My question is, I code the first consult out but the second one, do I bill as a consult or a subday? If anyone knows the answer and knows where I could find information regarding shared charts, please let me know.

Thank You

Each admit to the hospital is a different encounter. You would bill a consult for the first visit. The provider was requested to do another consult for the second visit for a different reason so that would also be billed as a consult. The follow-up visits for that stay would then be billed as subsequent visits.

each admit to the hospital is a different encounter. You would bill a consult for the first visit. The provider was requested to do another consult for the second visit for a different reason so that would also be billed as a consult. The follow-up visits for that stay would then be billed as subsequent visits.

thank you!!!!!