Wiki Shave biopsy help PLEASE!

TLC

Guru
Best answers
A patient came in and had three seperate lesions removed by shaving full thickness. All on the back two the same size and one larger. The provider coded as 11300,11300-59 and 11301-59. I feel this is correct. There is some confusion in our office with the "new" biopsy codes that came out this year 11102-11107. Someone said since they are on the back they should all be added together in one code. I said that was for laceration repairs. Can I get some help with this please as they were all full thickness lesions removed all benign. Thank you

A patient came in and had three seperate lesions removed by shaving full thickness. All on the back two the same size and one larger. The provider coded as 11300,11300-59 and 11301-59. I feel this is correct. There is some confusion in our office with the "new" biopsy codes that came out this year 11102-11107. Someone said since they are on the back they should all be added together in one code. I said that was for laceration repairs. Can I get some help with this please as they were all full thickness lesions removed all benign. Thank you

If they are taking the entire lesion its not a biopsy but a shave removal 11300-11313 so you are correct. Biopsy by a pathologist is is completely unrelated to the biopsy codes in the surgical section of CPT
11102-11107 is for taking a small sample of a lesion that used to be reported by codes 11100-11101.

From the CPT guidelines:

[FONT=&quot]During certain surgical procedures in the integumentary system, such as excision, destruction, or shave removals, the removed tissue is often submitted for pathologic examination. The obtaining of tissue for pathology during the course of these procedures is a routine component of such procedures. This obtaining of tissue is not considered a separate biopsy procedure and is not separately reported.[/FONT]

Last edited:
a full thickness removal of the entire lesion is not a shave nor a biopsy, it is an excision which will be coded as either benign or malignant once the path report is back. If it is a partial thickness removal of the entire lesion it is a shave and a piece of a lesion removed either partial or full thickness is a biopsy. Also you are correct that you do not add them together you code each one separate using either the 59 or the XS modifier. if there are repairs of the excisions that are more than simple then you would add the lengths of the repairs together.

Last edited: