Wiki Short Interval Pregnancy DX

melheffley

Networker
Best answers
I am looking to see if there is a diagnosis (ICD 9 or 10) for "short interval between pregnancies". We have quite a few patients that only have a couple months between delivery and a new pregnancy.

For instance, we have a patient that delivered 5/26/15 and is now pregnant again. Our providers consider these patients at a higher risk for complications. I would think with the very detailed ICD10 code set, there would be a code for that, but I am unable to locate one.

There is nothing I can see that specifies what you are looking for but you can use supervision of high risk pregnancy. Found in both code sets.

It seems to me that we should add a specific dx code after the code indicating a risk factor like what the risk factor is. For example, the patient has had a previous C-section I would code as O09.893 (Supervision of other High risk pregnancy, third trimester) O34.219 (Maternal care for unspecified type scar from previous cesarean delivery). My best guess is that the insurance industry would want to know what the risk factor is. Just asking?