Question should I buy extra practice exams?

Best answers
My CPC package already included one practice exam. Should I purchase the $499 offer of three extra practice exams with a free study guide, or settle for a cheaper practice exam book by someone else? I already bought a slightly out-of-date 2020 practice exam book, mainly just to see what the exam questions probably looked like; but of course I know it can refer to out-of-date codes. (At least one question's answer was obviously wrong.)

Best answers
Hi there, just based on my experience the one free practice exam was enough because it showed me the question format and I was able to get an idea of the timing for answering questions. It also helped me decide on what I needed to do to prepare for the test. I'm not sure what additional tests could have added to that.

Best answers
Good, that's what I thought it meant; I was checking whether it meant anything more complicated.

That leads me to ask something more general, about this six hours that we get. Am I completely wrong to think that that sounds like plenty of time? I suspect I am. I was going to say I can't be sure without taking the exam; but I think that's mostly untrue. All I have to do is go through a 150-question practice test in one sitting (my book claims to be a realistic simulacrum) and time myself. Am I right?

lo8956

Contributor
Best answers
I bought both practice exam bundles through the AAPC. It probably wasn't necessary but I wanted to be sure I was ready for the test. They all have different questions but the format is very much the same. If you are just trying to get a feel for the questions and formats than I think you are fine with just the one exam. I was very worried about the time limit but I ended up being okay for time on the exam. I didn't have a ton of extra but there was enough to look up a few things I wanted to double check.

Best answers
Yes, I should add that I took the test years ago and it is all a blur. I know I finished before the time expired, but I certainly didn't finish at 2 hours or anything like that.

csperoni

True Blue
Best answers
Not sure where you are seeing the practice exams are $499. They are $40 each practice exam (50 questions), or set of 3 for $80. I personally would spring the $80 for 150 questions to sit and take it all at once like the actual exam. https://www.aapc.com/training/practice-exams.aspx#cpc
I personally found the 5 hours and 40 minutes enough time. I took 1 bathroom break during the test. Once I had gone through (but not necessarily answered) all questions, another break away from the test just to stretch and clear my head. Then I came back and answered all remaining questions I had flagged, and then double and even triple checked some other questions I flagged. I was the first one to hand in my answer booklet and there was maybe 15 minutes left.