Wiki Should I take another certification?

Rbushey1

New
Best answers
Hello all,

I won't lie, I've become pretty frustrated with AAPC and while I won't say they are a scam they do come off as money hungry to this point. I worked hard to try and change careers passing both CPC and CPB classes and certifications and still no one will give my resume a second glance. They also refuse to help me fix a Practicode issue after multiple requests for help going back to January. I'm at the point where I don't know if I should quit this entirely and warn people away or if I should try and up-certify with CIC or another. The problem is if no one will give me even low paying entry level experience now they probably won't then either. And this has already been expensive. Is it worth it and has anyone who can't find CPC/CPB work found it with another Certification level? Is anything even in demand right now?

Hello all,

I won't lie, I've become pretty frustrated with AAPC and while I won't say they are a scam they do come off as money hungry to this point. I worked hard to try and change careers passing both CPC and CPB classes and certifications and still no one will give my resume a second glance. They also refuse to help me fix a Practicode issue after multiple requests for help going back to January. I'm at the point where I don't know if I should quit this entirely and warn people away or if I should try and up-certify with CIC or another. The problem is if no one will give me even low paying entry level experience now they probably won't then either. And this has already been expensive. Is it worth it and has anyone who can't find CPC/CPB work found it with another Certification level? Is anything even in demand right now?

If someone does not have previous employment experience in the healthcare industry, adding specialty credentials won't necessarily make them more employable.

(You'll note in my signature that I have 10 credentials - I definitely support the idea of pursuing specialty credentials. I'd never discourage anyone from obtaining an additional credential, when it makes sense for that person's stage and career path.)

In my personal opinion, it might benefit you more to invest your time and resources into your job search right now.

For example, instead of spending money on a course and exam voucher, taking a fraction of that to work with a resume coach could be beneficial.

There are a few different resume services geared towards the medical coding industry. All are fine, but I'm a big fan of Sarah Ragan's approach. Most of her resume packages include a 30 minute virtual discussion with you, so that she can really get to know you, your goals, and your background. She doesn't just create a cookie cutter resume that looks the same for all of her clients - she really tailors it to you as a candidate.

Sarah is also very well-connected in the coding industry, and I've also seen her help her resume clients network when she has the opportunity. You can reach out to her for info about what her services entail here: sarahthecaffeinatedcoder@gmail.com

If you haven't already, I'd also recommend creating a LinkedIn profile and build your network in the coding industry there.

There are so many coding job opportunities posted on LinkedIn, both directly by the companies and also by recruiters. There are also many coders who share a lot of great information. For example, Revka Sterns is a CPC-A who posted extensively about her job search methods, and now that she has started her first coding job she's posting about her learning experience and on the job training. As a new coder starting your job search, I think it's worth following Revka's posts: https://www.linkedin.com/in/revka/

Finally, I'd suggest networking within your local chapter. Las Vegas has an active chapter - I've presented to them virtually in the past. Any way you can make connections and network with others in the industry is valuable. (And, of course, your local chapter is a great way to meet your CEU requirements.)

Speaking of Las Vegas, the medical coding community will be descending on Vegas for Healthcon next month. Even if the conference itself is out of your budget (which would be understandable, given that you're not working in the field yet), living in Las Vegas gives you a great opportunity to get out there and network with people in the coding industry during the conference down time!

Those are just a few ideas off the top of my head. Hopefully at least some of the suggestions were helpful to you. Good luck.

Well, I can say that we are in similar situations. I finished my Practicode course in December 2023 and after I had submitted all 600 cases, I waited two weeks to receive my new certification without the "A", but I never received it. I have grown tired of calling AAPC and they have disappointed me, I can honestly say that I feel scammed, that they seem like a fraudulent institution, that uses our money to enrich themselves and is not fair to students when we strive for a goal. Every week I call them and I have to repeat the same thing to them because they don't know the status of my case. They always tell me that I should wait, that there was a problem with my Practicode account and that the 600 cases presented do not appear. I am going to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission because I am not going to stop until my case is resolved. I'm tired of lies. Furthermore, I have been applying to work as a coder for months and since I have no previous work experience in the health field, no one is interested in employing me.

Try applying with your Health Department. You never know where that might lead. As for AAPC, every time you call, note the date and the time and who you speak with. I have learned to do that and if you haven't already, get forceful with who you are talking with when appropriate. I don't know if this helps, but I was in the same boat over 10 years ago. I just got my CPC-A and couldn't find a job. Finally, I got an interview for the front desk, but the office manager saw I was certified and offered me my first coding job and it was a doozy. I had no experience and only received 3 days of training. I made all the mistakes you could think of but lasted over a year until the provider retired. I then got a Scheduling position at the hospital, and my soon-to-be supervisor went to the same church as my mother, and I worked there for over 4 years. It's a journey and not for the faint of heart. I now work at a DME company that took a chance on me when I had no billing experience. Been with them for over a year, left, and then came back.

I'm feeling frustrated and scammed too. I have CPC and had A removed and still can't find a job. I was really under the impression that I would find a job quickly after being certified but that's not the case. Entry level jobs are requiring 1-5 years of experience and I have none. So how am I supposed to get a job? And its seems like the market is flooded with new coders and more people in classes to become a coder. I've spent a year of my life studying for this and over $3,000 and cant find a job?? Insane.