Wiki Should I use modifier 53 no this?

ksb0211

Best answers
Ok. This is the situation, and I'm hoping for other thoughts on this. We had a patient who was scheduled for a left breast mastectomy and sentinel node (19303 & 38525).
My question is: Is this one of those situations where I should bill the 19303 with the 53 modifier? I know I can bill the 19290 & 76942,26. I'm just wondering about the discontinued portion.
Thank you for any input. Here is the op report:

PRE/POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS
Left breast carcinoma.

OPERATION PERFORMED
Ultrasound directed needle localization of breast lesion.

DESCRIPTION OF PROCEDURE
The patient was seen in the operating room just prior to her surgery. The area of the left breast, 9:00 to 10:00 position was visualized and the tumor was clearly identified. Photographs were taken and then the localization wire was admitted into the breast at 3 cm and secured in place. Sterile dressing was applied. Sterile preparation and proceeded. However, before we could proceed with the operation, patient suffered aspiration of gastric contents requiring abandonment of the subsequent operative procedure.

yep, modifier -53 would definitely apply here, the patient was on the table, and the surgeon had to stop because of patient condition, I would go ahead with the modifier. hope this helps! :)