Wiki Should there be a Designated Certification for a Specialty Pathology Coder?

Do you think that there should be a special certification dedicated to the Pathology specialty?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

danachock

Expert
Best answers
This is my first time doing a poll so I am hopeful that I am doing this correctly.

Hi, I became a coder back in 2012. I was hired to code anesthesia also in 2013 and was expected to receive the CANPC certification. Which I did.
There was no designation for my first specialty which is pathology, so I opted to take the CHONC certification and passed. It was not ideal. Why would I need to code chemotherapy, when I am simply reviewing pathology accessions for both CPT and diagnosis assignments??
I would not only like the opportunity to receive such certification as described, but also be allowed to take an exam to deem me capable of being an instructor in this very specific specialty "pathology".

There's a place on the AAPC website to express interest in a specialty credential not currently offered.

For those of you who are interested in a pathology or any other specialty credential, I'd encourage you to fill out the form. I suspect that level of interest is a factor for AAPC in deciding whether to develop a specialty credential.

(I'm not involved at all with credential development, so I can't officially speak for AAPC staff or the NAB on that subject. But it seems logical that member interest level would be a factor, right?)

The survey link can be found under the list of specialty credentials at the link below. "Don't see your specialty? Tell us." - the Tell Us is a hyperlink to a Survey Monkey form.

I see that pathology/laboratory is one of the prepopulated options on the survey form, so it looks like it may at least be on the radar.

The survey link must have been created before the ophthalmology COPC credential was created, because that's still one of the prepopulated options as well. I'd anticipate that the survey responses are still collected, because the link is still active.

(When I see everyone face to face at Healthcon next month, I'll ask and find out what other steps members can take to express interest in development of new specialty credentials.)

Seems to be working and voted. While I can't ever imagine wanting a pathology certification personally, there should be one. Let's call it CPATH.
Oh, my goodness csperoni,
Again, thank you Christine for participating in my poll and CPATH is completely alright with me, and you simply called it!
You get bragging rights if AAPC follows your suggestion okay.
Have a wonderful evening!! I value your opinions.
Dana

Hi sls314,
Oh absolutely thank you Susan, I did not know and am so thankful for your link that you shared and stepping up to simply inquire for pathology specialty at our AAPC Healthcon!! I wish I was able to attend that event and meet you in personally and provide my gratitude. I have this event slated for attending next year 2024 and hopefully will see you then okay.
Have a fantastic evening!
Dana

Ouch, fellow pathology colleagues! 9 people participated in this poll that is closing in 9 minutes. Oh goodness, I have met so many pathology coders these past 10+ years. Those that were deemed to "just" code pathology that shove stuff (coding out of the door to billing) because its "good enough" and also those other pathology colleagues (bless their hearts) that are so dedicated to providing proper diagnosis regardless of the complexity of the accession and the time it takes to do so. I ABSOLUTELY SOO DO APPLAUD anyone that participated in my poll and wholeheartedly appreciate your input. I am hopeful that the AAPC will have a pathology designation (they, in my complete opinion should have it by now). I did all the other hoops and whistles obtaining the CANPC & CHONC immediately (probably established before I became a coder). But to be given the CPMA or CPB afterwards and to nearly 11 years later not have a pathology designation to place in my pocket (or my coding hat) absolutely blows my mind. I with many colleagues work very hard to be the best of the best in pathology coding and would like this "designation" in our cap moving forward in my opinion.
Have a fantastic evening,
Dana