Wiki Shoulde Surgery Multiple Procedures

cwilson3333

Expert
Best answers
Would like an opinion of the coding on this shoulder surgery
OPERATION PERFORED: Arthroscopy left shoulder, joint debridement, labral debridement, acromioplasty, and proximal biceps tenodesis
PREOPERATIE DX; Biceps labral dysfunction, rotator cuff dysfunction, impingement shoulder
POSTOP DIX: Impingement syndrome, high-grade tear of labrum superiorly, posteriorly with sub acromial spur shoulder

DESCRIPTION OF PROCEDURE: The patient was brought in the operative theater, placed in supine position. Was given general anesthetic. He had Ancef intravenously. The beach chair was elevated to 60 degrees. The shoulder was examined. He had a good range of motion with no instability.

Attached to the spider. Landmarks were marked out. Three portals were made, posterior, lateral, and an anterior portal. Scope introduced into glenohumeral joint. Articularly surfaces had mild chondromalacia changes. The labrum was torn posterior at the superior half above the equator. The entire superior part, extending anteriorly. This extended to the biceps tendon. Labral debridement was done and then the biceps was taken down. The rotator cuff looked fine, subscap looked fine, rotator interval looked good.

The scope was introduced into the subacromial space, which was very tight. Acromioplasty was done for 4-5 mm. CA ligament resection was done in usual manner. The superior rotator cuff looked great. A subacromial bursal debridement was performed at the same time.

The lateral incision was extended to 3 cm and dissection was carried down to the biceps sheath. The biceps was delivered into the wound. A tiger loop was attached to it in the usual manner. The tiger loop was placed into a proximal biceps tenodesis TightRope. Unicortical fixation was done in usual manner with a drill point and then it was buried down into the head. It gave a nice, tight biceps tenodesis. Irrigated copiously with sterile saline.
Closure was done in the usual manner. It was dressed and wrapped. No complications.

I am looking at 23430

Opinions, please. Am I coding correctly?

Code 29823 is not supported.

First of all, you need to know who is being billed. Code 29823 is not accepted by all insurance companies yet, even though they should be. BX will not cover 29823. Any debridement performed that is not related to a restorative procedure can be counted towards 29823. In this case, you only have debridement of the SLAP which is 29822 and is not reportable.

29826 is supported, but it needs a parent code.

23430 for the biceps tenodesis (the tenotomy to release the biceps tendon is included)

This is where you need to know your insurance. If your insurance allows 29823 then I would put the SLAP & 29826 together and bill out 29823.

If your insurance does not allow 29823, the only billable code is 23430.

Please go to CMS and download the 2017 surgical policy update for ortho as it will help your coding greatly.

I would bill 29823 and 23430. Interesting about BX because I coded ortho for more than 3 years and we billed 29823 to BX all the time with no issues.

Shouler Procedures

Would like an opinion of the coding on this shoulder surgery
OPERATION PERFORED: Arthroscopy left shoulder, joint debridement, labral debridement, acromioplasty, and proximal biceps tenodesis
PREOPERATIE DX; Biceps labral dysfunction, rotator cuff dysfunction, impingement shoulder
POSTOP DIX: Impingement syndrome, high-grade tear of labrum superiorly, posteriorly with sub acromial spur shoulder

DESCRIPTION OF PROCEDURE: The patient was brought in the operative theater, placed in supine position. Was given general anesthetic. He had Ancef intravenously. The beach chair was elevated to 60 degrees. The shoulder was examined. He had a good range of motion with no instability.

Attached to the spider. Landmarks were marked out. Three portals were made, posterior, lateral, and an anterior portal. Scope introduced into glenohumeral joint. Articularly surfaces had mild chondromalacia changes. The labrum was torn posterior at the superior half above the equator. The entire superior part, extending anteriorly. This extended to the biceps tendon. Labral debridement was done and then the biceps was taken down. The rotator cuff looked fine, subscap looked fine, rotator interval looked good.

The scope was introduced into the subacromial space, which was very tight. Acromioplasty was done for 4-5 mm. CA ligament resection was done in usual manner. The superior rotator cuff looked great. A subacromial bursal debridement was performed at the same time.

The lateral incision was extended to 3 cm and dissection was carried down to the biceps sheath. The biceps was delivered into the wound. A tiger loop was attached to it in the usual manner. The tiger loop was placed into a proximal biceps tenodesis TightRope. Unicortical fixation was done in usual manner with a drill point and then it was buried down into the head. It gave a nice, tight biceps tenodesis. Irrigated copiously with sterile saline.
Closure was done in the usual manner. It was dressed and wrapped. No complications.

I am looking at 23430

Opinions, please. Am I coding correctly?

Thank you

Shoulder Procedures

First of all, you need to know who is being billed. Code 29823 is not accepted by all insurance companies yet, even though they should be. BX will not cover 29823. Any debridement performed that is not related to a restorative procedure can be counted towards 29823. In this case, you only have debridement of the SLAP which is 29822 and is not reportable.

29826 is supported, but it needs a parent code.

23430 for the biceps tenodesis (the tenotomy to release the biceps tendon is included)

This is where you need to know your insurance. If your insurance allows 29823 then I would put the SLAP & 29826 together and bill out 29823.

If your insurance does not allow 29823, the only billable code is 23430.

Please go to CMS and download the 2017 surgical policy update for ortho as it will help your coding greatly.

Thank you