Wiki SI Joint Injections

mcduffiegal

Best answers
We are having a discussion in my office about the correct coding for a non-image guidance in office SI joint injection. 1 coder says 20610 and the other says 20552. What is the correct CPT code?

20610 is the correct code for an injection into the SI joint. 20552 is a trigger point injection, which is an injection of a muscle, not the joint.

20610 is the correct code for an injection into the SI joint. 20552 is a trigger point injection, which is an injection of a muscle, not the joint.

I am just going off of what my CPT book says which per guidelines, we are to go where the book directs us. CPT book states " 27096 is to be used only with CT or fluoro imaging confirmation of intra-articular placement of needle positioning. If CT or fluoro is not performed, use 20552. "

I completely agree that SI is a major joint and not a muscle, however the directions in the CPT book are pretty clear cut. Anyone else have an opinion?

Last edited:
I am just going off of what my CPT book says which per guidelines, we are to go where the book directs us. CPT book states " 27096 is to be used only with CT or fluoro imaging confirmation of intra-articular placement of needle positioning. If CT or fluoro is not performed, use 20552. "

I completely agree that SI is a major joint and not a muscle, however the directions in the CPT book are pretty clear cut. Anyone else have an opinion?

I agree, 20552. Encoder states the same thing "For the injection procedure without CT or fluoroscopic imaging guidance, see 20552".

The rationale behind using 20552 is because without actual image confirmation of needle placement, there is no guarantee that the actual intra-articular space is being reached, therefore, not a true joint injection.

The rationale behind using 20552 is because without actual image confirmation of needle placement, there is no guarantee that the actual intra-articular space is being reached, therefore, not a true joint injection.

Yes, my mistake above, I answered too quickly without looking carefully - I agree per the CPT instructions that 20552 should be used if no imaging guidance was used. Thanks for clarifying.