Wiki Sigmoid sinus resurfacing; mastoidectomy, cpt code(s)?

Best answers
Can you tell me the correct code for Sigmoid sinus resurfacing; Mastoidectomy? I found 61591 and for primary closure 1573_ codes.
We need to call insurance for authorization before surgery can be done and I've never had to code this surgery before. I also noticed that 61591 is on the inpt only list. Has anyone else coded for this surgery? Is 61591 the correct code?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Carol

Hello, I have attached an article that I think you will find helpful and I have highlighted the areas to pay attention to. These areas describe the type's of procedures that are involved with a Sigmoid Sinus Reshaping or Resurfacing, as I believe they are the same, can I presume this is for the treatment of pulsatile tinnitis? Please refer to your surgeon to verify this information as there are several components to this type of procedure. First, ask your surgeon what type of approach as this article refers to a "transmastoid" approach which would eliminate the use of 61591, which is a skull based infratemporal post-auricular approach. I need to point out with these skull base surgeries that there are 3 elements that are coded, 1st the approach, 2nd the definitive procedure, and lastly the repair and/or reconstruction, though not all require such types of repairs or reconstructions. Read pages 452 thru 454 in CPT 2021, you will see that you can not use CPT 61591 the approach code without a definitive procedure code (61600 thru 61616). By what I read you are most likely looking to stick to a mastoidectomy code (transmastoid approach) with some bone harvesting graft and perhaps some type of skin graft etc... Your surgeon needs to lay out what procedures they will be doing order for you to get any prior authorization and to find out if they are bundled etc...

Hope this helps!

Can you tell me the correct code for Sigmoid sinus resurfacing; Mastoidectomy? I found 61591 and for primary closure 1573_ codes.
We need to call insurance for authorization before surgery can be done and I've never had to code this surgery before. I also noticed that 61591 is on the inpt only list. Has anyone else coded for this surgery? Is 61591 the correct code?

Carol
Hello, I have attached an article that I think you will find helpful and I have highlighted the areas to pay attention to. These areas describe the type's of procedures that are involved with a Sigmoid Sinus Reshaping or Resurfacing, as I believe they are the same, can I presume this is for the treatment of pulsatile tinnitis? Please refer to your surgeon to verify this information as there are several components to this type of procedure. First, ask your surgeon what type of approach as this article refers to a "transmastoid" approach which would eliminate the use of 61591, which is a skull based infratemporal post-auricular approach. I need to point out with these skull base surgeries that there are 3 elements that are coded, 1st the approach, 2nd the definitive procedure, and lastly the repair and/or reconstruction, though not all require such types of repairs or reconstructions. Read pages 452 thru 454 in CPT 2021, you will see that you can not use CPT 61591 the approach code without a definitive procedure code (61600 thru 61616). By what I read you are most likely looking to stick to a mastoidectomy code (transmastoid approach) with some bone harvesting graft and perhaps some type of skin graft etc... Your surgeon needs to lay out what procedures they will be doing order for you to get any prior authorization and to find out if they are bundled etc...

Hope this helps!

Carol
Hi, I was wondering what codes you ended up using for this surgery? Thanks.