Wiki Sign In Sheets

Shagrlygrl

Contributor
Best answers
Office Manager here. My doctor really likes sign-in sheets, so we won't be getting rid of them. He always says sign-in sheets prove the patient was actually in the office in case we are audited. I am not sure where to start my search on information on whether or not that is necessary. (P.S. I know what HIPAA says about privacy in regard to using sign-in sheets so that isn't the information for which I am looking.)

Whether or not you think it's necessary for your practice is an internal decision. I haven't been to a doctor who uses sign-in sheets in AT LEAST 5 years (maybe even more like 10). The gynonc practice I've been with almost 20 years never used them. I think once practices are on EMR systems, and "paperless" (ha, ha, right), they do away with sign-in sheets.
I suppose I would ask how often you've ever had any situation that required "proof" via sign-in sheet?

EMRs pretty much negate the need for a paper "sign in sheet" in an office setting. They are a PHI risk for sure. If you are on paper charts (!?) I guess maybe I could see, but the provider documentation, schedule and check time in/out documentation for patients would probably suffice. I don't know of any time other than maybe for private duty nursing in the home or PT/OT/ST home visit or something like that where a sign in sheet and/or parent or guardian sign off is required. And nowadays even those are mostly electronic.

EMRs pretty much negate the need for a paper "sign in sheet" in an office setting. They are a PHI risk for sure. If you are on paper charts (!?) I guess maybe I could see, but the provider documentation, schedule and check time in/out documentation for patients would probably suffice. I don't know of any time other than maybe for private duty nursing in the home or PT/OT/ST home visit or something like that where a sign in sheet and/or parent or guardian sign off is required. And nowadays even those are mostly electron

EMRs pretty much negate the need for a paper "sign in sheet" in an office setting. They are a PHI risk for sure. If you are on paper charts (!?) I guess maybe I could see, but the provider documentation, schedule and check time in/out documentation for patients would probably suffice. I don't know of any time other than maybe for private duty nursing in the home or PT/OT/ST home visit or something like that where a sign in sheet and/or parent or guardian sign off is required. And nowadays even those are mostly electronic.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. :giggle: He has been using EMR for many years now, and our patients have an electronic sign-in PIN. I think it is definitely a bit of a security blanket for him. He likes to use the sign-in sheet for a variety of checks and balance systems he has created for himself. 😎

Thank you for taking the time to respond. :🙂He has been using EMR for many years now, and our patients have an electronic sign-in PIN. I think it is definitely a bit of a security blanket for him. He likes to use the sign-in sheet for a variety of checks and balance systems he has created for himself. 😎