Wiki Signatures on Progress Notes

lsilva

Networker
Best answers
Does anyone know if the supervising practioner needs to also sign the progress notes of the individual he/she is supervising. For example in the state of Texas a CI (counselor intern) can provide substance abuse counseling servicing if being supervised by an LCDC (licensed chemical dependency counselor) or other QCC. State guidelines only indicate that Assessment and Treatment Plan require both signatures, but I was wonding if there was a more stringent standard that needs to be met and if so where can I find that reference. Have been searching and cannot find. Personally I do want for the CI and LCDC sign off on the progress note but their has been some resistence on their part since the state standard does not require it. I just feel it is an extra step we can take to ensure all services are being supervised properly. Can anyone share some info or insight on this.

:confused:

Our clinic also does supervision, however our supervisors do not sign the note unless they physically meet with the client themselves (which is usually only for our MD residents) Otherwise, all supervision is documented in our supervision logs. If/when records are requested, I send all with the supervision log, and I have not had a problem.

Just my personal experience. I would be interested as well if anyone has a different experience or insight:)

Thanks!

supervision signature

Who's name are the claims being billed under? If the claims are being billed under the supervisor...than they are ultimately responsible for what is on the claim. If there is an audit it is the name on the claim that is listed in the audit. When the carrier finds out the service was render by someone else than both the supervising and renderings name will be on the audit. That would be a reason to co-sign a note.

We were audited by BCBS of MA and was told that it's the supervisor had to write the notes. This was solely for Neuro and Psych testing. For any MH therapies, we cannot bill under the interns. Again this is with BCBS of MA. I don't know if this helps.