Wiki Small Cell Metastatic lung cancer

rsweigart

Best answers
Could anyone give me some insight as to how to code small cell metastatic lung cancer? This was all that the doctor wrote for the patient. There wasn't any indication as to whether this was primary or secondary. Help Please!!

Take this note back to your doctor for clarification. I try to drill this into my doctors but I always seem to be taking the metastatic cancers back to them. Tell the doctor to specify the cancer as Metastatic Lung cancer to ____________ or Lung Cancer with ____________ mets or however they feel comfortable writing it. As long as both the primary and secondary cancers are indicated, as it is important to be clear with neoplasms. If you don't have the option of taking the note to the doctor, then you would just have to code it as lung cancer unspecified, which is 162.9.

Could anyone give me some insight as to how to code small cell metastatic lung cancer? This was all that the doctor wrote for the patient. There wasn't any indication as to whether this was primary or secondary. Help Please!!
The AHA coding clinics state to code this as lung cancer primary 162.9 with an unknown metastatic site (199.1)