Wiki Smoking in remission vs history of

aclements

Networker
Best answers
Does anyone have guidance on appropriate use of F17.211 Nicotine dependence, cigarettes, in remission versus Z87.891 Personal history of nicotine dependence. I have read many articles about nicotine remission and classification of early (partial or full) remission (1-12 mos) and sustained (partial or full) remission (12 months or longer). At what point does sustained remission become history of?

Thank you! :)

There is no true documentation that I have found on the "history" of smoking. I would put this to your best judgement. I use the fact if the patient quit smoking over 1 year, I will use the history code and not remission code. I save the remission code for 6 months or less :)
Hope this helps!!!

Thank you for your thoughts. What has me confused is that literature has sustained remission at 1 year or longer. The only thing I could come up with (my opinion) is that someone who still craves it and is at risk for relapse would be in remission while someone who has quit and can no longer stand the smell with no interest or craving of ever relapsing would be "history of"