Wiki specialty coding certification

sdaniel

Best answers
not sure if this discussion belong in this area....anyway....would like to know from those who are specialty certified, particularly if you are in General Surgery or CVT Surg. ...i work in anesthesia, so I code ICD-9 and CPT for all type of cases(Endoscopy, Pain Management and General Surgery).....i am interested in the Gen. Surg. Specialty to promote/advance my career.....at my current place of employment, there will be more CardioVascular & Thoracic Surgery cases coming up in the near future...so just trying at this point to decide which specialty certification would benefit me in the long run...Gen. Surg or CVT Surg...my director is strongly encouraging me toward the latter....any advice/suggestions welcome....

Hello. I was recently certified in General Surgery. I work for a multi-specialty group. I started with General Surgery because I thought the principles would apply to most of my coding. I plan to be credentialed in other specialties as well. Since I have the experience, I didn't feel the exam was terribly difficult.